Ludo à la Maison Season 11 Episode 6...Coq Au Vin
- In a large bowl, mix the red wine, onion, carrot, salt, black pepper, clove, bay leaves and thyme. Add the chicken and marinate for 1-2 days making sure it is fully submerged.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and dry well with a towel. Strain the marinade, keeping both the liquid and vegetables.
- Heat half the olive oil and half the butter in a large pot over med-high heat. Sear the chicken in batches making sure not to crowd the pan until dark brown. (about 5min each side)
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the bacon and mushrooms and cook until crispy. Deglaze with a little of the wine and scrape the bottom if it starts to burn.
- Add the vegetables and herbs from the marinade and cook until tender. Add the flour and stir to incorporate.
- Add the chicken back to the pot with the reserved red wine and enough extra wine to make sure the chicken is covered.
- Take a small amount of the wine and add to a small bowl. Whisk in the cocoa powder and add back to the pot.
- Cover the pot with a tight lid and cook for about 1 hour.
- In a saute pan, add the rest of the olive oil and butter. Add the pearl onions and season with salt. Cook until golden brown.
- Pour the water and vinegar over the onions and season with more salt if needed. Cover and cook until tender. (about 40min)
- Add the onions back to the chicken along with the remaining cooking liquid.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked through and tender. Season if needed.
- Finish with chopped parsley and serve.