< Back to Recipes
Chocolate cake with olive oil and salt
Makes one 9-inch round cake
- 400g dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids)
- 400g unsalted butter
- 8 medium eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed
- Fleur de sel (sea salt) as needed
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius / 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake baking tin.
- Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of hot simmering water. Add butter and stir well to mix the two ingredients completely.
- Whisk the eggs and the sugar in the bowl of a kitchen mixer until the mixture turns pale and doubles in volume. Add the flour a tablespoonful at a time, and then add the baking powder.
- Mix in the chocolate mixture and pour into the prepared sandwich tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The cake is cooked when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for 15 minutes before turning it out.
- To serve, cut the cake into slices, set them on plain white plates and pour some extra virgin olive oil around. Sprinkle with some fleur de sel on the cake and serve.